To understand the real scenario; it is must that we first quickly go through the glimpse of the basic pros and cons of both opensource and custom development. Then we can compare both options to find out whether at all it is possible for opensource to take over against custom web development
Let us start with the basic pros and cons for the custom development:
- Easily scalable, secure, robust
- No coding limitations
- Easy Integrations
- Need to develop from scratch
- Hugh development time
- Business risks considering high costing and maintenance
- Need help of technical person for even a smaller changes
Secondly, let us quickly have a look at the pros and cons of the opensource development too
- No need to reinvent the wheels: – you can use readily available plugins/modules, components, libraries etc..
- Supported by the large opensource communities / forums
- Supported to the Mobile Trend: quick to install responsive themes and plugins
- Multiple SEO friendly opensource platforms, themes and plugins wide availability
- Low business risks considering less development time and lower costs to develop and maintain
- Non-Technical person can easily administrate the whole website maintenance stuff
- Scalability can be the issue in-case if you have not chosen the right opensource platform according to your future needs
- Coding boundaries: need to follow the structure of the readily built platform for the enhancement/customization or for any new developments on it
Comparatively looking at the benefits of opensource over the custom development, it's a clear win for opensource. However the most importantly for any business scalability for future requirements as and when it grows should not be ignored.
So, in-case when you have pre-studied your business requirements well enough to select the right opensource keeping the future development in mind with customization feasibility check – you are safe to go for the opensource and can take other advantageous of it including cutting down on the development time, cost and energy. and thus in such scenario, definitely opensource wins over the custom development.
You can even consult experts at Continuum to select the right framework for your business requirements.
Let us also check once again the reach of the opensource platforms across the different business domains:
Ecommerce Opensource Solutions
- Zen Cart
- Spree Commerce
- Drupal Commerce
- WP e-Commerce
- DotNetNuke (DNN),
- Pligg CMS,
- Composite C1,
forcefinder.com – is ASP.Net based job board that runs many niche job boards in U.S. & Canada. Both hosted and licensed solutions are available.
Mycromedia – is also asp.net based turnkey solution for recruitment firms, employers and for all entrepreneurs that want to start Job Board. Both hosted and licensed solutions are available.
List of open-source health software:
Top 6 Free Open Source School Administration Software:
- School Time
- TS School
- Open Admin for Schools
- OpenSIS Community
Open-Source Software for Libraries:
- Guide on the Side
- OpenRoom etc…
10 Open Source ERP Options
- ADempiere ERP Business Suite
- Apache OFBiz
- Openbravo ERP
Such as many other readily built opensource platforms are available and newer solutions are getting introduced rapidly by the largest available opensource community.
You can also refer the statistics on the various technologies usage over the entire networks here at http://w3techs.com/technologies
Summary: Simple as that why to invest thousands of dollars to reinvent the wheels whilst everything is readily built for you just a click away. Get in touch with us and hire our opensource expert website developers toronto to guide and rapidly setup your choice of softwares